Alex Pitt has a diverse professional background, beginning with visual effects for feature films, such as Stargate, Waterworld, The Crow, and The Long Kiss Goodnight, among others.
In the mid 1990s, he moved into panoramic photography shooting 360 degree images around the world for Microsoft Encarta, Discovery Channel, and Paramount Pictures. During this time, his work took him to five continents and ten countries, and over twenty-five cities.
In 2000 and 2001, Alex was the lead editor on Debbie Allen’s profile series “Cool Women.” During this time, he also produced and shot a segment about primatologist Biruté Galdikas in Borneo, Indonesia. Additionally he edited for National Geographic Today.
In 2002, Alex returned to still photography and video, working for Discovery Channel, The Los Angeles Music Center, Paramount Pictures, and New Line Cinema. More recent still photography credits include Cirque du Soleil, Paramount Pictures, Los Angeles Music Center, TiAA, and PEW Trust. Some of his video clients include: FIFA (World Soccer Federation), The Learning Channel, The Discovery Channel, and Farm Sanctuary.
Alex continues to work as a shooter, but has also moved into time lapse photography, He has produced time lapse videos for SFMOMA, the Historic Ford Theatre in Hollywood for Los Angeles County Arts, SF Travel, and Amtrak, as well as time lapse beauty shots for commercials for Porsche, Kia, Hyundai, and Georgia Power. His time lapse video of the restoration of The Hollywood Sign was featured on the NBC Nightly News, ABC’s World News Now and is featured on The Los Angeles Times Photo Blog. It is in these time lapse projects that Alex is able to best utilize his diverse skills.
- “Si, Cuba” 07/2002 The Alley Gallery, Hollywood, CA
- “Si, Cuba” 11/2002 Nickelodeon Art Gallery, Burbank, CA
- “Si, Cuba” 02/2003 The International Cultural Center, Lubbock,TX
- “Si, Cuba” 12/2003 The ARC Gallery, Chicago, IL
- “Si, Cuba” 09/2004 The University of Rhode Island’s Fine Arts Gallery, Kingston, RI
- “Si, Cuba” 11/2004 The Abrons Arts Center, New York, NY
- “Si, Cuba” 01/2005 Truckee Meadows Community College, Reno, NV
- “Modigliani’s Muse” 02/2005 The International Cultural Center, Lubbock, TX
- “Portraits” 10/2005 The Krasnoyarsk Museum Center, Krasnoyarsk, Russia
- “Viajeros” (Group Show) 11/2005 Lehigh University, Zoellner Arts Center, Bethlehem, PA
- City Hearts (Group Show) 04/2017 Leica Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- City Hearts (Group Show) 07/2018 Leica Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- 2003 American Photo: Annual competition–Finalist, Photojournalism
- 2017 Black & White Spider Awards Finalist